Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Day 1

Scott Stimmel and I were comparing our first Genius Hour sessions.  Both of us have 7th grade homerooms.  We had totally different experiences -- his students stared silently at him; mine did not.  It is my belief that my group benefitted from the rainout of the 7th grade party. 

Due to the rainout, I spent about 40 unexpected minutes with my homeroom.  We played a game called Silent Auction which I would be happy to teach any of you.  It involves a lot of movement, communication, and sometimes deception.  There is no talking, but a lot of laughter.  By the end of the game, we had totally changed our classroom dynamic.  Students were open to participation and trying things in a new way.

So, before you even begin Genius Hour, I recommend doing some kind of activity that builds a trusting, fun community.

No comments:

Post a Comment