Wednesday, October 15, 2014

What are we doing next?

An anxiety I think I share with many of you is, now what?  After we do the design process, what are we going to be doing with students during our forty minutes?

I struggled with this for a long time.  Forty minutes is not enough time to do the work.  And what about needed resources?  If a student wants to do a project on how motorcycles work, do I have to find a motorcycle and keep it in my room?

Then it hit me:  we don't have to do anything in Genius Hour.

Well,  that's not exactly true.  But what if I ran my Genius Hour like I might run a staff meeting?

So, what might students be doing?

1)  Providing a status report.
2)  Presenting their work to date.
3)  Getting feedback from other students about their plan (I imagine us focusing on 1-2 project in depth per meeting time).
4)  Receiving feedback on materials they have created and brought to show.
5)  Presenting data they have collected.
6)  Identifying further action steps, with help from others.
7)  Troubleshooting problems
8)  Honing their presentation.

The motorcycle stays in the garage.  But what has been done, and still needs doing, and the documentation that comes with that, is the subject of our time together.

Scott and Chelsea have come up with some great documents to help guide this process.  They can be found here:

No comments:

Post a Comment